Geographical Tongue is a name that brings up a lot of queries itself. The word Geographic relates to the physical features of an area so how can we relate to our tongue? If you are also getting confused with this term, the article is going to provide you with great help to you. We will let you know here what Geographic tongue is, its symptoms, causes and how to get rid of the geographic tongue.
What is the Geographical Tongue?
Geographic tongue is a condition when your tongue gets painless inflammation on your skin. The tongue might face discomfort and increased sensitivity to certain substances like spices, salts, and even sweets also. The pink blisters start appearing in a map like a shape on the upper surface and sides of the tongue. The pink blisters arise here are short, fine and hairlike projections with slightly raised borders.
The patches result in the map like appearance here and that’s why as geographic tongue termed. The situation is not so common and is being considered to be found in about 1% to 3% of people only. It is more common in women than in men. If not being taken care of on time, the situation can turn into an alarming one and can lead to severe health conditions also. The situation is not anywhere associated with cancer.
You can also check out:- How To Treat Mucocele
One can’t expect any prevention measures here as the main reasons behind the issue of Geographic Tongue are still unidentified. But the most common reasons when people typically find this condition are:
- Lichen Planus
- Vitamin B deficiency
Geographic Tongue treatment is not possible if you are not aware of the symptoms here. You can easily identify the Geographical Tongue, just by checking out the following symptoms.
- Smooth, red, irregular lesions present on the top and sides of your tongue
- Causes discomfort and sensitivity towards spices, salty and sweet things
- Frequent change of sizes, location, and shape of lesions.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Fever Blisters
If you are here to resolve the issue of how to cure geographical tongue naturally, here are one of the finest remedies for you.
- Brushing your mouth using mint oil is a great geographic tongue home remedy you can use on. It is a natural anti-microbial agent and freshens up you breathe also. You can directly apply the mint oil on your skin and can also use alternative sources such as toothpaste, gum and mint candies as well.
- The discomfort and sensitivity being caused by the geographic tongue can also be caused by using over the counter pain relievers.
- Applying a small amount of kitchen baking soda on your toothbrush and scrub on your tongue, teeth, and gums can also serve as a superb geographical tongue remedy for you.
- Gently scraping the tongue from back to front to remove the bacteria completely from your tongue will also serve as one of the leading natural remedies for the geographical tongue.
- Applying aloe vera on the affected portion of the tongue will also serve as a great anti-inflammatory and healing option for the geographical tongue.
- Users can also use various Vitamin B and Zinc supplements to reduce the discomfort and sensitivity being caused by geographic tongue.